That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekly Workout Wrap Up

Another week in fitness

Monday: 3s and 5s interval run 5.2 miles--I think

Tuesday:

60 minutes elliptical

This workout was conquered Sean Covey Style (7 Habits), I began with the end in mind because I was feeling kind of blah. By 15 minutes in, I was enjoying myself. Sometimes it's good to have a plan.

Wednesday:

2 mile walk
30 minute elliptical
15 minutes assorted crunches

Thursday:

40 block sprint walk--I was running late

Crunch Fat Burning Pilates DVD
Zumba Special K Dance DVD

Friday:

I did my 3s and 5s interval run, but reversed the interval sprints and tempo runs, so it looked like this:

1st Set
3 minute sprint interval (sprint 1 minute , jog 1 minute, sprint 1 minute) (7.5, 6, 7.5)
3 minute tempo run (6.5)
3 minute sprint interval (sprint 1 minute , jog 1 minute, sprint 1 minute) (7.0, 6, 7.0)

Recovery: 3 minute walk or jog (4)

2nd Set
5 minute sprint interval (sprint 1 min., jog 1 min, sprint 1 min., jog 1 min., sprint 1 min.)(8, 6, 8, 6, 8)
5 minute tempo run (6.8)
5 minute sprint interval (sprint 1 min., jog 1 min, sprint 1 min., jog 1 min., sprint 1 min.) (8, 6, 8, 6, 8)

Recovery: 3 minute walk or jog (4)

3rd Set

3 minute sprint interval (sprint 1 minute , jog 1 minute, sprint 1 minute) (7.5, 6, 7.5)
3 minute tempo run (6.5)
3 minute sprint interval (sprint 1 minute , jog 1 minute, sprint 1 minute) (7.2, 6, 7.2)

Cool down:3 minute walk or jog (4)

Whew that was killer-4.65 miles total

35 minutes on elliptical

Saturday:

30 minute elliptical (RPE 7)

1 hours cardio/strength workout video (Ultimate Video Workout by Kathy Smith)

Sunday:

4.4 mile run

Didn't want to kill myself before my first spinning class in a long time. The run was pretty great, and I wanted to do more. I ran to the Socrates Sculpture Park, my little LIC sanctuary. The new exhibit was pretty cool. I am not one to pretend to get weird art, music or dance, but somehow, it all makes sense at the SSP. The former exhibit was more mainstream weird, this one is more weird, weird, but fabulous. Plus the people taking pilates class amid the modern sculpture adds a great sense of character to park.

Spinning class

Loved it! I was a little worried because the instructor was kind of old and wearing a crop top, spandex leggings, slouch socks and a bandanna headband, but her class was good and hard. And the music was stellar too, which is so important. She said she took it easy on us because it was the first class of the quarter and there were several beginners, so I can't wait to see what she has in store for next week!

I will say I was annoyed that she kept saying to sprint with zero resistance. Sprint with no resistance is not only kind of dangerous, but ineffective. You really need some resistance to strength your muscles and up the calorie burn, even if you are sprinting. There is no point in just letting your legs fly around the wheel hither and yon.

I am going to try to sneak into a class that incorporates strength and spinning that the gym offers. I will give you the full review on that since it is different than a regular cardio focused spinning class, which I assume most are familiar with. But if you have questions, holla!

PS I am pooped!
blog comments powered by Disqus