That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Friday, March 28, 2008

Weekly Workout Wrap Up

So I actually found a few minutes of downtime at work this morning. I have been burning the midnight oils with work events, too many social plans and lots of school. It has become clear that I am going to have to rely on Fresh Direct and laundry drop off if I want non-take out and clean clothes.

Sadly, I have been seriously abusing caffeine in all its glorious forms. I love me some legally addictive stimulants! However, I don't feel very healthy, so I am going to make a concerted effort to be extra healthy as soon as my--fairly fabulous, if odious to write--paper is handed in. I am spending all day at Successfully Raw tomorrow, so that should be quite inspiring.

So here it is the wrap up from, quite possibly, the busiest week ever!

Saturday: 1 hour workout from FitTV (7am)

Sunday: 1 hour 40 minute walk (4:30pm)

Monday: 30 minute run, 15 minute elliptical, 10 minute run (8pm)

Tuesday: 30 minute run, 15 minute elliptical, 10 minutes sit ups/ab work (7:30am)

Wednesday: 45 minute power walk (7:45am)

Thursday: Fitness magazine quickie strength workout (7:00am), 20 minute run @7.5mph, 10 minute elliptical, 5 minute stretch (2:00pm), interval studying, 100 jumping jacks, 25 squats, 25 situps, repeated 5 times in 20 minute intervals (10pm-12pm)

Anticipated for weekend:

Friday: 25 minute powerwalk (8:30am)--done, 30 minute run, 30 minute elliptical (lunch hour/right after work)

Saturday: possible rest day because I have plans all day and night, but we will see if I can sneak something in.

Sunday: 6.2 mile Scotland Run at Central Park (10am)

Note: Total lack of strength, I really need to add more into my routine! Maybe I'll do strength first, so I make sure to get it in.

I'll see what I can do between now and Tuesday about posts, but no guarantees :(.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worry about posting if you are busy. The weekly workout is great to see though!

Funny/random question. Ok, so I know you read fit sugar. I just started reading and there is this girl who always one of the first to post a comment. She has a photo with her toung sticking out! It's so weird!

Anonymous said...

opps......tongue

Melissa said...

Haha I like fitsugar, but I only check it once a week, if that! However, I never noticed the commenter. That's funny. Now I'll be on the look out.

chandra said...

Question, you're short, right? Like around 5'1"ish? I thought I remember reading that, sorry if I'm wrong.. I'm 5'2" - so I'm short - how do you make your legs move that fast to run?! lol... it has been rough getting my little legs to move 6mph!! :)

Melissa said...

Hi Chaundra,

I am only 5ft. Running has a little to with height, but more to do with what type of muscle fiber you have, fast twitch or slow twitch. That's why a lot of great runners are short.

I have a hard time running fast, but I can run slow forever! It's the same with all sports for me. That is because I have slow twitch muscle fibers. You can't change the type of fiber you have, but you can increase speed through tempo runs and interval runs and practice.

I have to work very hard to run fast, whereas 5.7 is super comforable for me. Over time, running faster has become possible, if not easy.

Practice, practice, practice your time will improve.

For more on fast twitch/slow twitch see http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

For more on improving speed:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-388-11879-0,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-369-370--11996-0,00.html

Anonymous said...

i'll be there tomorrow!!! i'm looking forward to it, i think it will be a fun one. i'm tacking on 2 miles before and 3 after for a total of 11 though. Let's hope for good weather!!

Anonymous said...

it WAS a good one!! although it seemed especially crowded. I'm used to NYRR races being packed but this seemed really full. Hope you had a good race too! I'm writing a race report later today so check back!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I can't live without FitTv - that's where I record a lot of my workouts from, and put them on DVDs! :0D

As a side note, did you receive my email? I sent it to the "personal" email address that you gave me.