That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Friday, March 14, 2008

Rock Your Body Challenge: Increase Your Speed!


This week's challenge comes to you straight from my hard core running friend! The following plan will help you increase your speed and reach your 5K goal time.

The best part is that you only have to do it once a week.

This plan will get your 5K (3.1 mile) time under 30 minutes. Basically you are just adding an extra interval for the weeks 2, 3, 4 and then practicing sustaining a high speed.

So if your goal is faster, substitute 6.9 for a faster pace. My goal is 25 minutes, so I am going to try to do 7.4 mph--roughly an 8 minute mile pace.

Week one

Warm up 10 minutes
Run 8.49 pace (6.9) for 3 minutes
Recover for 5 minutes
Run 6.9 for another 4 minutes
Recover for 5
Run 6.9 for 3
Cool down.


Week Two

Same as above but add another Run 6.9 for 4 minutes recover for 5

Week Three

-add to week 2 another 5 minute run at 6.9, recover for 5

Week Four

Add to week 3 another 3 minute run at 6.9, recover for 5

Week Five

Warm up for 10 Stretch
Run 6.9 for 1 mile
Recover
Run 6.9 for however long you can hold it
Cool down

Week 6
run 6.9 continuous for 2 miles straight
Cool down

Week 7 - Race. 5k

What was your result?

I won't be posting again until Sunday, but I'll try to come up with something good!

Have a fabulously fit weekend!

0 comments: