That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Two a days and lots of treats!

The last three days have been so busy, I almost felt like a top spinning furiously until spiraling out to a dead stop. However, all the fun I had was totally worth it, but I am glad to have two days with absolutely no plans.

On Friday, I did 40 minutes on the elliptical before work. And then a 25 minute run after work. I was feeling very bloated after a work happy hour, and then having dinner with my girlfriend at Otto (one of my favorite Italian restaurants owned by Mario Batali) and toping it off with an incredible chocolate fondue dessert at the Blue Water Grill. I probably consumed a marathon's worth of calories in food and drink that night!

So I tried to really keep my intensity high by doing intervals. I have read over and over that alternating really high intensity with moderate intensity intervals burns more calories and fat than doing a steady moderate pace for half again as long! From what I understand, the difference is that people continue burning calories throughout the day after an intense workout.


A trainer I know completely agrees. He says that you can drop pounds with 18 minutes of cardio 5 times a week if you workout of smart. He suggests warming up for 5 minutes and then alternating 1 minute intervals at moderate intensity (about a level 7) with a minute as hard as you can possible go. Basically you can't wait for the minute to be over. He says if you can do more than 6 intervals, you are not pushing yourself hard enough. 5 minute cool down after.







So after my second workout out, I had very exciting plans to have dinner at Pure Food and Wine, one of my favorite restaurants. Everything is raw and organic with all nutrients and enzymes completely intact.

The food is so beautiful I had to share it with you!



These are pictures I found of what I had because I didn't feel comfortable taking a camera out at the table! I also had a great rioja red wine from Spain!


I found this picture here. I had the Spicy Thai Lettuce Wraps bottom right. They are so yummy collard beans stuffed with sprouts, mango, vegetables, in spicy almond butter sauce with the most delicious tamarind dipping sauce. This photo also shows the outdoor garden seating, I didn't sit there because it is freezing in New York!

I had some of their famous heirloom tomato lasagna with pinenut ricotta, thai basil pesto and sundried tomato marinara.

I couldn't find a photo of the classic sundae I had, but I put photos of raw desserts I have had. The torte is similar to Pure's Triple Chocolate Layer Cake. It is by the talented Chef Russell James, who trained with one of Pure's original owners. Below is Pure's tiramisu!



Saturday, I went to yoga before meeting a friend for brunch, and then I went to the gym, and spent the rest of the day/night running around the city shopping and attending birthday parties.

I got in so much exercise yesterday, I think I will take today off to clean my apartment (a high intensity workout in itself), do homework, and maybe even drag myself to the laundry mat!

0 comments: