That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Doing it Fonda Style

Now that I am taking classes at night, I am going to have to start planning my workouts. I'll probably try to go before work on Mondays and Tuesdays. But in the likely event that I end up hitting the snooze or when I just don't feel like going to the gym/studio, I'll do a workout video or two and call it a day.

Growing up I don't remember a morning that my mom wasn't up doing Denise Austin's hips, thighs and buttocks, so maybe its hereditary; in any case, I am a huge fan of "having a personal trainer right there in the privacy of your home." Honestly, I would probably replace my tv with an orchid if I didn't like to use it for my dvd workouts! I can only hope to get fittv someday!

It can be hard (nearly impossible) to find videos that are actually as good as a gym workout or class, but I'll share a few of my favs.

This is my entire collection, minus Billy Blanks, Billy's Favorite Moves. That is actually one of the best, you really burn some calories. The only downside is the lead instructor after Billy is painfully emaciated, and looks like she is doing speed or something. But still a great workout.



Out of these videos Shape Bikini Body Camp redefining workout is the true star. If you do both the 30 minute workouts, you get a very good workout. They are a mix of cardio/strength intervals using weights and a dyna band (band included).

The one at the top I got free from Special K. It is a Zumba workout, and I love it. I usually do it with another video though because it is not super intense. It's a fun dance workout with some lunges and squats. Out of all the dance-based videos I have, this is the only one I think is effective. I want to check out more of the line.

The Claudia Schiffer Perfectly Fit Series is pretty good for 15-20 minute toners. Obviously this is a vhs set, so it is pretty old.

The biggest loser workout 2 is all right. I like that you can pick which segments you want to do and customize your workout in the set up options. It can get your heart rate up, but it's not going to help you lose 100 lbs (or even 10) if you are exercising regularly.

I don't recommend any of the others too highly.



Out of this set, I like the crunch fat burning pilates and burn and firm pilates videos. They have lots of lunges and squats, I like to combine these with a half hour run to feel like I got a complete workout.

The biggest winner frontside/backside is pretty good, intense. I have to do both at the same time to really feel the effect.

Kathy Smith's Ultimate Video Workout is no joke. A great totally body workout with plenty of cardio and a full strength segment. It is from like 1987, but I love it! Lots of fun, lots of cheese, lots of leotards. Why did people in the 80's think leotards were to aerobics what the LBD is to cocktail parties?

I also highly recommend the NYC Ballet Workout. I have the book version and it gets me limber within days. They video is great for mellow days.


Also Fitness magazine's website has lots of great workout video reviews. They even include a calorie burn estimate for several of the videos.

To keep myself from getting annoyed by workout video instructors, I often put the tv on mute and play my itunes.

0 comments: