That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Friday, June 8, 2007

Month 1 Recap

Practice one.

I arrived at Central Park at 6:30pm…completely terrified and more than a little nauseous. At this point, the following thoughts were going through my head:


-What have I gotten myself into?
-I am not a runner; I am out of my mind.


All of the sudden a guy wearing a backpack sprinted across Bethesda Terrace toward me.


-Oh my god, is this guy in the beginner group? I am so out of my league. Fortunately, the eager fellow turned out to be my coach. Actually, my “freakin coach” as he calls himself.

The first practice wasn’t too bad. It was 3.5 miles; farther than I have ever run in a race, but not the farthest I have ever run. It was my first encounter with the famed Central Park Reservoir loop, for the record that 1.5 mile distance seems eternal. Oh, I discovered the coolest thing ever at practice: the lampposts in CP have the street numbers on the bottom. Believe me when I tell you that I counted every single pole on the way from the reservoir back to the terrace at E72.




Views from Bethesda Terrrace

0 comments: