That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

When the going gets tough: inspiration, Hills, and more!

It is pretty crazy that I am now excited about having an "easy weekend" only having to run 13 miles. It's the Queen's half marathon. But after 20, I am not too nervous. Besides running lots of miles, we have also been focusing on doing as many hills as possible. My coaches favorite seems to be Cat Hill. We get to run up and down it...over and over.
But it is a pretty exciting jaunt. There is the CP Boat then a weird Cat Sculpture, followed by a strange plane area, views of the back of the Met and Cleopatra's Needle.
I have to say, as scary as hills are, I much prefer them to sprints. At least what goes up, must go down. Yesterdays practice was cross training and sprints, and it was the first practice where my body was in "I give up" mode.
In any case, there are a few options.
-First, if you have a friend or two to talk to you probably won't need help, just make sure you save up a good four hours of conversation
-sort out your life---this one doesn't work for me. I need full concentration to sort, but obviously a lot of people like to clear their heads while running, so if you are one of them, props to you!
-Recall a childhood favorite, such as "The Little Engine that Could."
-Listen to a great song. Lately I have been listening to Stronger by Kayne West on repeat. But see the list on my main page for other ideas.
-Do everything in your power to forget you are running. Examples, think about that great dress on Sale at Club Monaco
or...Try to remember something with intricate details, such every store on 14th Street between 3rd and 6th avenues.
or...take a mental tour of Henri Bendel or Crossgates or substitute your personal shopping house of worship.
or...remember every song on the first Green Day album in order, then mentally sing every word of Basketcase.
-Plot out your domination of the world, and how you will "be the change, you wish to see in the world"
Finally, stock up on a few good quotes. I felt quotes needed their own post, so check it out!

0 comments: