That that don't kill me, can only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now, cause I can't wait much longer. Kanye West, Stronger

Monday, September 3, 2007

Marathon Shopping




Take the title literally! I have put off buying anything for running until this week, so I had some serious shopping to do. I felt kind of guilty spending any money on personal items for this marathon because I wanted all my money to go toward my fundraising goal, but I knew that I would have to buy new sneakers at some point, and sooner would be better than later.

So with about two months to go, I broke down and bought everything I could possibly need to during the rest of my training and on race day.



I started out a total bargain shopper, Dad you would be so proud, with a $3 TNT race tank and a $1 TNT bracelet at the Connection to the Cause breakfast.

Next I bought something I swore I would never buy. A fuel belt. I always thought they seemed so cheesy and pretentious. Part of the beauty of running is that it is such a no frills sport. I am sad to say, my previous no frills system of training is to be no more.

I was pretty much the only person on the team without a fuel belt. Despite trying to hold out, I was eventually worn down by the popular trend. Kind of like giving into the Crocs phenomenon. In any case, carrying a 20 ounce water bottle and safety pinning power gels to my shorts gets a little old around mile 10.

So here it is, my new bright and shiny Fuel Belt:




I purchased mine at the New Balance Store on 7th Ave and 49th. On a side note, I also snagged a small bag of free M&M's at the M&M store a few blocks down. I guess that's thrifty.

Next I moved on to the most important purchase of all...sneakers! I decided to go to Jack Rabbit, as it is known as the running store in the city. It is on 14th St. between 5th and 6th. I have to say it did not disappoint.




The staff was really friendly. If they can put up with me through indecision, questions, returns, and trying on 7 pairs of shoes, they can handle any customer.


The coolest thing is that they have you run on a treadmill and videotape your stride. I wasn't totally prepared for this, and I happened to be wearing a dress...ooops. In any case, I learned that I run very turned out, so I need a supportive shoe to help prevent injury. That information alone was worth the cost of the shoes. After several runs on the treadmill, I settled on Asics GT 2120s by the way.




The second cool thing about the store is that they have an unparalleled assortment of energy gels, shots and blocks in more flavors and brands than I have seen anywhere else. I stocked up on more than enough to get me through training. I am especially excited about the Margarita Flavors Shot Blocks!




So I hope I have everything I need...and so does my wallet!

0 comments: